Trinity has a long and rich heritage. In the summer of 1882, the Rev. Silas Huntington, a Methodist Minister, arrived in North Bay and held his first service in a railway car, in a rock quarry west of Ferguson Street just behind the Cormack Block. Our heritage is reflected in many of the Stained glass windows at Trinity and in our motto, “Founded on the rock, sustained by faith.”
The First Church Building:
The first church was built in 1884 on a lot donated by John Ferguson, later the first mayor of North Bay, at #8 Main Street East. “Attendance has steadily increased and church membership has advanced from 20 – 30” reported Silas Huntington in 1884/5. A parsonage was built between Ferguson Street and the church.
The Second Church Building:
When the Main Street property became important as a business site, the church was sold and a second church was built on Ferguson Street. It was also a white frame building that seated about 200. It was erected in 1887 at a cost of $1,700. A new parsonage followed on the corner where our present church stands.
The Third Church Building:
Planning and then construction of a church “for the future” was underway in 1905 – 1907, and the capacity of this church far exceeded the requirements of the congregation of that time. The architects were Burke and Harwood and the cost was $20,000. The ministers at this time were Rev. J. W. Stewart, 1905-07 and Rev. A. P. Addison, 1907-10.
Methodist ministers were moved on some plan of rotation which averaged about a 3-year stay at each location. Imagine, for these families, both the events of leaving and the arriving in such a momentous time!
A Church with a Rose
It is worthy of note that this building during the original construction was fitted with stained glass windows as seen today in the high windows of the sanctuary. This pattern was repeated exactly in every window throughout the building from basement to tower. The Rose Window in the balcony was the only exception. This window was a matter of great pride as it was the only one of this design north of Barrie at that time. The United Church of Canada has continued to be a uniting church and has welcomed the Wesley Methodist Church of Bermuda and the Evangelical United Brethren.